Amla pickle is warm in its nature and it is perfect to serve with any dish. Gooseberry pickle has a lip-smacking taste and it is tastier to eat too.
Here is a step by step recipe along with pictures to make Amla pickle. This recipe will explain to you how to make this pickle and preserve it.
Take 250 grams of larger sized gooseberries.
Boil 1 to 1.5 cups of water in a vessel and place a strainer over it.
Place gooseberries over it and steam while covering it for 6 to 7 minutes.
In the meantime, coarsely ground 2 tsp of fennel seeds, 1 tsp of fenugreek seeds, black mustard seeds and a ½ tsp of cumin seeds.
The gooseberries will be steam cooked after 6 minutes and afterwards, keep them aside to cool down.
After cooling the gooseberries, grate them along with 2 inches of the ginger baton.
Preheat a ¾ cup of mustard oil in a pan.
After heating it, switch off the flame and decrease the temperature of the oil.
Add 2 pinches of asafoetida, a ½ tsp of nigella seeds, grated ginger to it.
Add the coarsely ground spices, stir and roast for 2 minutes.
Add the grated gooseberries along with a 1.5 tsp of turmeric powder, 2 tsp of red chilli powder, salt and mix them well.
Stir and cook it for 2 minutes then, wait for the temperature to decrease.
Add a ¼ cup of sugarcane vinegar to it and mix well.
Instant gooseberry pickle will be ready to be served.
- You can eat it instantly or you can wait for 3 days to ferment it but, make sure that you stir it once a day.
- You can store and eat it for 6 months.
- Gooseberry- 7 (250 gms)
- Ginger- 2 inch Baton
- Mustard Oil- ¾ cup (150 gms)
- Fennel Seeds- 2 tsp
- Fenugreek Seeds- 1 tsp
- Mustard Seeds- 1 tsp
- Cumin Seeds- ½ tsp
- Nigella Seeds- ½ tsp
- Turmeric Powder- 1.5 tsp
- Kashmiri Red Chili Powder- 2 tsp
- Asafoetida- 2 Pinch
- Salt- 2 tsp or as per taste
- - Take 250 gms of larger sized Gooseberry, boil 1 to 1.5 cups of water in a vessel and place a strainer over boiling water.
- - Place Gooseberries on the strainer and steam them after covering for 6 to 7 minutes.
- - Coarsely Ground 2 tsp of Fennel Seeds, 1 tsp Fenugreek Seeds, 1 tsp of Black Mustard Seeds and ½ of Cumin Seeds for the Masala.
- - After 6 minutes, Gooseberries has cooked so keep them aside to cool down.
- - Grate the cooked Gooseberries and 2-inch Ginger Baton.
- - Preheat a Pan along with ¾ cup of Mustard Oil, switch off the flame and decrease the heated Oil temperature slightly.
- - Add 2 pinch of Asafoetida, ½ tsp of Nigella Seeds, Grated ginger in the heated Oil.
- - Add coarsely ground spices and roast them while continuously stirring it for 2 minutes.
- - Add the grated Gooseberries along with 1.5 tsp of turmeric powder, 2 tsp of red chilli powder, 2 tsp of salt and mix them properly.
- - Stir and cook it for 2 minutes then, wait until its temperature decrease.
- - Add ¼ cup of Sugarcane Vinegar and mix them properly.
- - Instant Gooseberry Pickle is ready to be served.
- - You can eat it instantly or you can wait for 3 days to ferment it but, make sure that you stir it once in a day.
- - You can store and eat it for 6 months.