Curd rice is an Indian dish which is originated from South India. It is a perfect blend of spices and soothing cold curd. It is made up of fresh curd that’s why it is refreshing in the summers.
Here is a step by step easy recipe with pictures to cook curd rice. It is a refreshing dish and perfects to eat during the summers. The tempering spread over it helps to enhance its taste.
Getting Ready :
Clean, wash and soak in the water a cup of rice for 20 minutes.
After 20 minutes, remove the extra water from it and add in the pressure cooker.
Add 2.5 cups of water to it and boil until a whistle blows.
Turn the flame to low after a whistle has blown. Cook for 2 minutes more.
After 2 minutes, open its lid and remove the rice in a separate bowl to cool it.
After cooling down the rice, add 2 cups of fresh curd to it and mix them well.
Add a teaspoon of salt to it and stir to dissolve its lumps.
For the tempering
Heat 2 tbsp of oil in a tempering pan.
Saute a ½ tsp of mustard seeds, a ½ tsp of cumin seeds, tsp of spit chickpeas along with a tsp of Urad Dal.
Add 2 to 3 chopped green chillies along with dry chilli and 10 to12 curry leaves to it.
Spread the tempering over the rice and curd rice is ready to be served.
- Rice (soaked) - 1 cup (200 gms)
- Curd - 2 cups
- Oil - 2 tbsp
- Mustard seeds - ½ tsp
- Cumin seeds - ½ tsp
- Urad Dal - 1 tsp
- Split chickpeas - 1 tsp
- Dry red chilli - 2 to 3
- Green chilli (chopped) - 2 to 3
- Curry leaves - 10 to 15
- Salt - 1 tsp
- - Take a cup of rice, clean it, wash it and soak in the water for 20 minutes.
- - After 20 minutes, remove the extra water from it and add in the pressure cooker.
- - Add the 2.5 cups of water to it and close the lid of the cooker.
- - Cook rice until the first whistle blows.
- - After the first whistle has blown, turn the flame to low.
- - Cook it for more 2 minutes on low flame.
- - Switch off the flame after 2 minutes.
- - Wait until pressure from the cooker releases.
- - Open the lid of the cooker after releasing its pressure.
- - Remove the cooked rice in a separate bowl and let it cool down.
- - After cooling down the rice, add 2 cups of fresh curd to it and mix them well.
- - Add a teaspoon of salt to it and stir to dissolve its lumps.
- For the tempering
- - Preheat a tempering pan, add 2 tablespoons of oil in it and heat it.
- - Add a ½ teaspoon of mustard seeds, a ½ teaspoon of cumin seeds, a teaspoon of split
- Chickpeas followed by a teaspoon of Urad Dal in the heated oil.
- - Saute the ingredients until they become brown and in between of process, add 2 to 3 chopped green chillies to it.
- - Add 3 dry red chillies too and roast all the ingredients together.
- - After roasting them, add 10-12 curry leaves to it and saute them.
- - Switch off the flame and spread the tempering on curd rice.
- - The curd rice is ready to be served.