Soya saag aloo is something which is very easy to make, delicious to eat and makes a perfect recipe from Indian cuisine. Saag is almost everyone’s favorite and is most popular as well. But today we are making a different yet delightful recipe of saag with dill leaves and potatoes. These green leafy vegetable is also highly nutritious as any other leafy vegetable. Dill leaves have a strong and pungent taste and makes a great dish with combination of any other vegetable.
This super scrumptious and delicious recipe makes a perfect side accompaniment to any curry recipe or serve it as a main side. There are many ways to make soya saag. Making soya saag with potato is one such variation. Here is an simple and easy to follow recipe for soya saag aloo with step-by-step pictures to make perfect sabzi at your home. Serve it with steaming hot chapattis and paranthas. Enjoy!
Peel the potatoes with a peeler and wash it thoroughly in water. After that, chop the potatoes into medium size chunks. Keep them aside.
Remove the hard stems from the dill leaves and wash the soft leaves twice in water. Place it on colander and leave it until the dill leaves becomes completely dry. Now make a bunch of the leaves and finely chop it.
Place a wok on flame and pour mustard oil into it. Once the oil gets heated, add cumin seeds to it. After the seeds splutters, add chopped green chilly, asafoetida, turmeric powder and diced potatoes. Mix all the ingredients really well.
Now add 2-3 tbsp of water into the potatoes. Mix it through. Cover the wok and cook the potatoes for 3-4 minutes.
After that, remove the lid. Stir the potatoes and add chopped dill leaves into it along with salt, red chilly powder and 2-3 tbsp of more water. Now cover the wok and cook the saag for 5 minutes on low flame.
Check the sabzi. Remove the lid and press a potato with spatula. Potatoes have turned tender. Potato dill leaves sabzi is now ready. Turn off the flame and transfer the sabzi to a serving bowl.
Serve this delectable and nutritious stir fried potato and dill leaves steaming hot as a side assortment along with chapatti, parantha or naan. Enjoy!
- You can use any other vegetable oil instead of mustard oil.
- For 4-5 members
- Dill leaves – 250 grams
- Potatoes – 2
- Mustard oil – 2 tbsp
- Asafoetida – 1 pinch
- Cumin seeds – ½ tsp
- Green chilly – 2 (finely chopped)
- Red chilly powder – ¼ tsp
- Turmeric powder – less than ¼ tsp
- Salt – ¾ tsp or to taste
- Chop the potatoes into medium size chunks. Finely chop dill leaves as well.
- Heat a wok with mustard oil and add cumin seeds, green chilly, asafoetida, turmeric powder, potatoes, dill leaves, salt, red chilly powder and 4-6 tbsp of water. Now cover the wok and cook the saag for 5 minutes on low flame.
- Turn off the flame and transfer it to a bowl.
- Serve this delectable and nutritious stir fried potato and dill leaves steaming hot as a side assortment along with chapatti, parantha or naan. Enjoy!