Fenugreek seeds sabzi makes a delicious accompaniment with any meal. It is very easy to prepare with very few ingredients i.e. fenugreek seeds, dry dates, mustard oil and few aromatic Indian spices. Fenugreek seeds when prepared in mustard oil tastes more scrumptious.
You can prepare it and store it in refrigerator. It keeps good for 5-6 days. It is very healthy. It almost takes no time to prepare. You can have it with parantha, naan or any other meal. It tastes just like pickle. So, try out making fenugreek seeds sabzi with these easy to follow step-by-step instructions. Enjoy!
Rinse fenugreek seeds twice ore thrice with water. Drain out the water from it. Soak it in drinking water for 2 hours. After that, strain the excess water from it and use it later. If you want then you can wash it again.
Take water in a bowl and drop the dry dates into it. Once they get puffed up, drain out excess water from them. Take the soaked dry dates and slit it from between. Discard its seed. Cut the dry dates into thin slices.
Place a pan on flame and pour the mustard oil into it. When the oil starts to fume, add asafoetida, cumin powder, coriander powder, fennel powder and turmeric powder into it. Roast the masala for a while.
Now add soaked fenugreek seeds into the masala. Mix it really well. After that, add salt, dry mango powder and red chilly powder into the sabzi. Mix all the ingredients really well.
Pour ½ cup of water into the pan along with sliced dry dates and raisins. Mix everything really well. Cover the pan and cook the sabzi for 5-6 minutes on low flame. Check later.
After 5 minutes, remove the lid. Stir to mix well. Again cover the pan and cook the sabzi for another 5 minutes on low flame. Check it later. 5 minutes are over. Uncover the pan and check the sabzi. For this, lift a fenugreek seed on spatula and press it with fingers. It has turned tender.
Fenugreek seeds sabzi is now ready. Turn off the flame. Transfer the sabzi into a serving bowl.
Serve this tantalizing and delicious fenugreek seeds sabzi steaming hot as an accompaniment with chapatti, parantha or rice. Keep this sabzi in refrigerator and have it within 5-6 days. Enjoy!
- Here we have taken raisins and dry dates. If you want to take only raisin them double its quantity or if you want to use only dry dates then take 1-2 more dry dates.
- If you don’t soak the fenugreek seeds until it puffs up then you have to cook it for more hours. If you soak it for 1 hour then you have to cook the sabzi for more minutes until the fenugreek seeds turn tender.
- Add more water into the sabzi if you desire to make more gravy.
- Fenugreek seeds – ¼ cup
- Mustard oil – 2-3 tbsp
- Dry dates – 2
- Raisins – 10-12
- Asafoetida – 2 pinch
- Coriander powder – 1 tsp
- Fennel powder – 1 tsp
- Cumin powder – ½ tsp
- Dry mango powder – ½ tsp
- Red chilly powder – ½ tsp
- Turmeric powder – ¼ tsp
- Salt – 1 tsp or to taste
- Soak fenugreek seeds in water for 2 hours.
- Cut the soaked dry dates into thin slices.
- Heat pan with some oil and add asafoetida, cumin powder, coriander powder, fennel powder, turmeric powder, fenugreek seeds, salt, dry mango powder and red chilly powder into the sabzi. Mix all the ingredients really well.
- Pour ½ cup of water into the pan along with sliced dry dates and raisins. Mix it well. Cover and cook the sabzi for 5-6 minutes on low flame. Check later.
- Transfer the sabzi into a serving bowl.
- Serve this tantalizing and delicious fenugreek seeds sabzi steaming hot as an accompaniment with chapatti, parantha or rice. Keep this sabzi in refrigerator and have it within 5-6 days. Enjoy!