Palak vada is yet another lip-smacking recipe of spinach. It tastes delicious and it is very easy to make as well. It is prepared with spinach, chana dal, ginger, green chillies and few more ingredients. You can prepare it just after the arrival of your guests.
Palak vada can be had with any chutney as its side assortment. You can serve palak vada as an evening snack. It tastes super scrumptious that anyone who had this will ask for more and more. So, definitely try out making palak vada with theses easy to follow step-by-step instructions. Enjoy!
Wash the chana dal thoroughly with water. Drain out excess water from it. Immerse the chana dal in water and soak it for 6-7 hours. Then remove the excess water and place it in a mixer jar. Grind the chana dal into coarse paste without adding water into it. Transfer coarse chana dal paste in a bowl.
Pluck the spinach leaves and discard its stalk. Rinse the spinach leaves thoroughly with water. Place them on colander to drain out excess water. Allow them to dry out completely. After that, make a bunch of the spinach leaves and chop them finely. Keep it aside.
Add cumin seeds, salt, coriander powder, grated ginger, chopped green chilly, red chilly powder and dry fenugreek leaves into the coarse chana dal paste. Mix all the spices into the lentil paste really well with the help of a spoon.
Now add chopped spinach leaves into the lentil mixture. Keep stirring with the spoon until the spinach leaves mixes well into the lentil mixture. Mixture for making spinach leaves vadas is now ready.
To make vadas, take spoonful of mixture in hand. Roll out the mixture and shape it into vada. Place it on a plate. Similarly, prepare the remaining vadas until the mixture is utilized completely.
Place a wok on flame and pour enough oil into it to deep fry the vadas. Oil should be very hot for frying them. When oil starts to fume, slide the vadas into hot oil. Place as many vadas as possible into the wok.
Once the vadas gets fried from beneath, flip their sides. Keep flipping the sides and fry the vadas until they become golden brown in colour.
When the vadas gets fried aptly, lift them with slotted ladle and hold it against the wok so that the excess oil gets drained back into the wok. Transfer them on kitchen paper towel. Likewise, fry the rest of the vadas. Turn off the flame. Spinach and chana dal vadas are now ready.
Serve these mouth-drooling and lip-smacking spinach and chana dal vadas steaming hot along with the side assortment of chilly sauce, tomato sauce, green coriander chutney or any chutney you like. Enjoy!
- If you don’t want to add dry fenugreek leaves than replace it with chopped green coriander or asafoetida. By the way, dry fenugreek leaves lends very nice aroma to the vadas.
- Here we have used mustard oil for frying vadas because the vadas taste delicious when fried in mustard oil and it is good for body while winters as it keeps us warm. You can use any other oil to deep fry the vadas.
- Chana dal – 100 grams (1/2 cup)
- Spinach – 100 grams (1 cup finely chopped)
- Green chilly – 2 (finely chopped)
- Ginger baton – 1 inch (grated)
- Coriander powder – 1 tsp
- Salt – ¾ tsp or to taste
- Cumin seeds – ½ tsp
- Dry fenugreek leaves – 1 tbsp
- Red chilly powder – ¼ tsp
- Mustard oil – to fry vadas
- Grind the chana dal into coarse paste without adding water into it.
- Chop the spinach leaves finely.
- Add cumin seeds, salt, coriander powder, grated ginger, chopped green chilly, red chilly powder, dry fenugreek leaves and spinach into the chana dal paste.
- Take spoonful of mixture and roll it out into vada.
- Slide the vadas into hot oil and fry the vadas until they become golden brown in colour.
- Transfer them on kitchen paper towel.
- Serve these mouth-drooling and lip-smacking spinach and chana dal vadas steaming hot along with the side assortment of chilly sauce, tomato sauce, green coriander chutney or any chutney you like. Enjoy!
Show Comments (3)