Lauki tamatar sabzi is a mildly spiced sabzi which is liked by everyone. Lauki or bottlegourd is a special summer vegetable with excellent health and nutritional benefits. This vegetable is among the top recommended vegetables which is good to consume.
This preparation of lauki tomatoes sabzi is really delicious that tastes great with chapatti or paranthas. Tomatoes gives a very nice and tangy-zingy taste to this curry. Making this sabzi is really simple and require the most basic ingredients, which add flavors and taste to the sabzi. So here is the detailed recipe with step-by-step pictures to help you make perfect lauki tamatar sabzi. Enjoy!
Thoroughly rinse tomatoes and green chilly with water. Drain out excess water from it. After that, place them in mixer jar and along with ginger baton and grind everything to make a fine paste. Then transfer it to a bowl.
Wash bottle gourd thoroughly with water. Pat it dry. After that, peel off its skin with the help of a peeler. Then chop it into ½ inch thick and ½ inch long pieces. Place it in a bowl.
Place a pressure cooker on flame. Pour ghee into it. Once the ghee melts completely, add asafoetida and cumin seeds into it. Roast it for a while.
Then add turmeric powder, coriander powder and tomato-ginger-green chilly past into it followed by red chilly powder. Mix it really well. Saute the masala for 3-4 minutes until the ghee starts separating from the edges of the masala. Keep stirring at regular intervals for 1-2 minutes more.
Ghee has started leaving the edges of the masala. It is now roasted well. Add chopped bottle gourd into it followed by salt. Mix it really well. Keep mixing and saute for 2 minutes until the bottle gourd chunks gets nicely coated with the masala.
Now add a cup of water into the bottle gourd. Put the lid on and cook the sabzi until it releases a whistle. After that, turn off the flame and let the pressure settle on its own.
Pressure is now completely released. Remove the lid. Transfer it to a serving bowl. Tomato bottle gourd sabzi is now ready to serve.
Serve this scrumptious and mouth-watering lauki tamatar ki sabzi steaming hot along with rice, chapatti or parantha. Enjoy!
- Here we are making bottle gourd less spicy in ghee but if you want to make it spicy then you can prepare it in refined oil along with onion, garlic, red chilly powder and garam masala.
- You can add 1 or 2 cup of water into the sabzi to make more gravy. Add water as desired.
- For 4-5 members
- Bottle gourd – 500 grams
- Cumin seeds – ½ tsp
- Asafoetida – 1 pinch
- Turmeric powder – ½ tsp
- Coriander powder – 1 tsp
- Red chilly powder – 1 pinch
- Salt – ¾ tsp or to taste
- Tomatoes – 2
- Green chilly – 1
- Ginger baton – ½ inch
- Green coriander – 1 tbsp
- Ghee – 1 tbsp
- Prepare a fine paste of tomato, green chilly and ginger.
- Peel and chop the bottle gourd into ½ inch thick and ½ inch long pieces. Place it in a bowl.
- Heat a pressure cooker with ghee. Add asafoetida and cumin seeds into it.
- Then add turmeric powder, coriander powder and tomato-ginger-green chilly past and red chilly powder. Mix it really well.
- Add chopped bottle gourd into it followed by salt. Mix it really well.
- Now add a cup of water into the bottle gourd. Put the lid on and cook the sabzi until it releases a whistle.
- Transfer it to a serving bowl. Tomato bottle gourd sabzi is now ready to serve.
- Serve this scrumptious and mouth-watering lauki tamatar ki sabzi steaming hot along with rice, chapatti or parantha. Enjoy!